Monday, September 12, 2011

Guitar Case Auto-Humidifier/Thermometer

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. When I first started out I was just learning therefore I didn't need an expensive instrument. Who knew if I was even going to stick to it? Now, if you don't know  much about guitar I will first tell you that the most expensive guitars are made and put together in a certain temperature and humidity. Brands of guitars such as CF Martin, Taylor, and Fenders are typically made and assembled at 72-74 degree(F) and 45-55 percent humidity. These guitars can reach up to $10,000 or higher in price, therfore the owner of these need to take very good care of them to maintain the sound and quality of the wood. If they don't maintain the guitar it will be damaged and possibly not even be usable. 


Ideally the owners of these guitars need to use a little probe like utensil to stick in the guitar to keep the humidity up and temperature up also. My idea however I believe will revolutionize the way people maintain their guitars and other expensive instruments. I would like to propose a guitar/instrument case that is remotely operated to keep the humidity and temperature at a steady degree/percent to maintain the guitars wood and health. I believe that this will make it easier for the musician to keep better care of their instruments because sometimes musicians forget to humidify their guitars. However, my case will always be on to maintain the necessary temperature and humidity so that the musician can forget about doing it manually. 

I believe that this could be big in the world of guitars because where I live, Syracuse, NY, it can get down to -20 degrees(F) with no humidity. These intense conditions could harm the guitars wood and even destroy it. I learned this the hard way. Yet, this case can assure that the guitar will remain at the same temperature and humidity through all of the intense winter months. This idea will not only save guitar in the long run, but it will also save thousands of dollars for musicians.This case will have a thermostat attached to it so that the use knows at all times that their instruments are in good conditions.

3 comments:

  1. It is great that you are going after a niche market that you are really passionate about. Make sure that you are relating each of the blog posts back to the content that is being covered in lectures on a week to week basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea that can definitely help a lot of musicians avoid ruining their guitars. Do you foresee there being a large cost for upkeep of your auto-humidifier/thermometer? I feel like it may be hard to keep the auto-humidifier working 24/7, without it running out of energy or causing a lot of unnecessary power to be used. Other than the power issue, I think this would absolutely be a great thing to have for guitarists! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting idea you are going after here. Of course there are a few questions I have with this. I see problems with portability of such a case. It seems that it could possibly get very heavy for anyone to carry. Or, is this a case for the guitar to be kept in for storage?

    ReplyDelete